Thyroid disorders are becoming increasingly common, especially among women, due to our stressful lifestyles. Yoga and meditation can help naturally treat thyroid disorders by reducing stress and promoting relaxation.
The thyroid gland is associated with the Vishuddhi chakra, which is the mental centre responsible for cleansing the body of toxins. Practising yoga can help improve the function of the thyroid gland.
Causes of Thyroid Disease
- Living a stressful life can affect the activation of thyroid hormones, leading to the development of thyroid.
- Women may experience an imbalance in thyroid hormones during pregnancy due to the numerous hormonal changes that occur in their bodies.
- Thyroid can also be caused by genetic factors.
- Fatigue, depression, or nervousness
- Pain in muscles and joints
- Obesity or unexpected weight loss despite feeling very hungry
- Hormonal changes
- Swelling in the throat
Following yoga asanas and pranayama can be helpful for thyroid disease.
- Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand Pose): This pose stimulates the thyroid gland, which can help regulate its function.
- Matsyasana (Fish Pose): This pose improves blood circulation to the thyroid gland and may help with overall thyroid health.
- Vipareeta Karani Mudra (Inverted Pose): This pose helps increase blood flow to the head and neck region, which can stimulate the thyroid gland.
- Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation): This sequence of poses helps balance the body and can be beneficial for managing thyroid disease.
- Pawan Mukta Aasan (Wind-Relieving Pose): This pose helps improve digestion and can be helpful for weight management, which can be a symptom of thyroid disease.
- Marjariasana (Cat-Cow Pose): This pose helps improve flexibility in the spine and neck, which can be beneficial for thyroid health.
- Janu Shirasasana
In addition to yoga asanas, pranayama techniques can help control the symptoms of thyroid disease.
- Pranayama techniques like:
- Kapal Bhati,
- Nadi Shodhana,
- Bhastrika and
- Ujjayi Breathing can also be helpful in managing thyroid disease.
- Balancing emotions and providing a suitable outlet for their expression is an essential part of yoga therapy for thyroid disease.
- Singing mantras and practising Ajapa Japa meditation can also play a significant role in managing thyroid disease.
Overall, yoga and meditation can be beneficial for managing thyroid disease, as they promote relaxation, reduce stress, and improve overall health and well-being. It is important to consult with a qualified yoga teacher before starting a yoga practice, especially if you have a medical condition like thyroid disease.